Thursday, February 4, 2016

30 Day Challenge



I feel like I have been a broken record over the last few weeks, but I just can't help it! I have been listening to Christian Radio exclusively since the beginning of the year, and I can't even begin to tell you the impact it has had on my life.

I have found some amazing Christian songs, and I get overjoyed every time I hear a new song. I swear that they only play songs that relate to my life and what is going on that day. It is amazing how God uses something like music to have such an impact.

Like I have said in past posts, I listen to K-Love Radio. It has contemporary music plus a mix of news, verses, and even short little sermons. They have a challenge where they encourage you to listen to only Christian radio for 30 days, and then look back to see if had a positive impact on your life.

Well I can attest to this challenge being worth it! I know it sounds so silly, but it really has changed me. Here are my top five reasons for listening to Christian music:

1) It starts your day with encouragement, positivity, and peace.

I am a firm believer that music impacts your mood. If you constantly listen to sad, depressing or angry music, you will start to have those same feelings. The same goes for if you listen to positive, encouraging music. It just helps to lighten your mood and start your day on the right track.

2) It is filled with words of wisdom and Biblical truths that relate to your everyday life.

I have found so many songs that seem to speak directly to me. I constantly find myself writing down phrases or lyrics that I find to impact my heart. Not only do they relate to me, but they give me peace and often times a new perspective on situations in my own life.

3) Christian music gives you the chance to worship God.

As you sing along to these songs, or even just listen to them, you are worshipping God. We are to spend our days on earth praising God and sharing His truth. I think of the fifteen minutes it takes me to get work as a fifteen minute praise and prayer session. By listening to Christian music, I am able to spend a few minutes praising God for who He is and what He has done for me.

"Sing unto Him, sing psalms to Him, talk of all his wondrous works." I Chronicles 16:9

4) God requires us to keep our minds and spirits pure.

In 2 Corinthians 7:1 it says, " Let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God."

God demands us to stay away from anything that will contaminate our body and spirit. I think that applies to music as well. God doesn't want us to pour anything into our minds and lives that don't bring us closer to Him. I hate to say it, but there are not many secular songs that wouldn't be considered contamination to us.

5) It sets us a part from the rest of the world.

"Do not conform any longer to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." - Romans 12:2
I was thinking about this topic today. In a random conversation, I was saying how typically Mormons' are known as being good people who are trustworthy, kind, and full of love. I think it is their religion that plays such a huge role. However, I don't think that most Christians have this reputation, which breaks my heart.

God calls us to be a light in this world, and in order to do so, we have to stand out from the crowd. I am starting to see my role in the world as someone who's every move points back to Jesus and His truth. In doing so, I am living out my life for His will rather than my own.

That being said, I think I have to listen to Christian music as a sort of testimony of my faith.


Tell me below…

Do you listen to Christian music?

What are some of your favorite songs?

Linking up with Amanda

0 comments:

Post a Comment