Tuesday, January 12, 2016

New Year's Resolutions

I am a little late on the New Year's Resolutions bandwagon, but I love the idea of setting some goals for the year. I always seem to have some of the same goals every year, and I never seem to completely finish them. But I just keep putting them down as my resolution the next year…kind of become a habit :)

I have seen a lot of people talk about how they don't like New Year's resolutions because they think we shouldn't wait until a new year to try and become a better person. While I completely agree that we don't need to wait until January 1st to change for the better, I also think it is important to set yearly goals. I think that the new year provides an opportunity for us to self-reflect and look back on the previous year. There are a lot of things that I have done for the better this last year, but I also think there is is always room for improvement.

The last few weeks I have thought about my resolutions, but I think tonight I am going to sit down and write some bigger goals…things I want to accomplish within the next 5 and even 10 years. While I know life throws a lot of curve balls, I also know it is so important to have a focus and a purpose for the next few years.

Below are a few of my resolutions!

1) Be more assertive. I have read a lot of people who talk about having a "word" to focus on for the year. If I were to do that, I would say my word is assertive. I tend to be someone who sort of shies away from any conflict or confrontation. I hate being rude to people to the point where I will let them get away with being extremely rude and disrespectful to me. This year I want to focus on standing up for myself, and also just being assertive in a positive way.


2) Exercise more and drink less. By drink, I mean caffeine and soda :) I really want to quit drinking soda because I know just how horrible it is for my body. It is just a bad habit I just can't seem to quit! I do know though that I feel better, I sleep better, and I am just all around better when I get my sweat on and not drink soda!

3) Spend more time acknowledging people. I work with young girls each week at my church's Awana program. I want to spend more time this year really acknowledging these girls for their successes but also for their character. This can be as simple as making a comment to them or sending them a quick note in the mail to let them know I am proud of them.

4) Worry less; pray more. Not a whole lot more I can say on this one :)

5) Get my first teaching job!! I am finishing up my second teaching certificate in Elementary Education, and I am going to start applying for jobs in February! I have been working over the last few months to revamp my resume, letters of recommendations, and I think I am ready to apply for jobs. I would love to get my first teaching job and start making a difference in this world!


Tell me below: What are some of your resolutions for the New Year? Do you set resolutions or do you just try and make positive changes all throughout the year?

Have a great Tuesday!

I'm linking up with Michelle for Tuesday Talks!


55ac412325f54e08e8b6e8524fc581eea5443b10c9d0c75d98

0 comments:

Post a Comment